Outside Your Home
- Remove garden hoses from spouts. Drain in-ground sprinkler system
- Clear debris out of window wells, gutters, down spouts. Make sure down spouts are directed away from the home’s foundation.
- Check weather stripping on windows and doors for fit and condition. Replace if necessary.
- Check and clean the chimney.
- Insulate outdoor faucets, pipes in unheated garages, and pipes in crawl spaces.
- Check roof for damage and/or icicles indicating potential ice dams.
- Change your furnace air filter and have it serviced if needed.
- Remove hair from drains in sinks, tubs, and showers.
- Test all smoke alarms and replace batteries.
- If you are leaving town for the holidays, you want to avoid frozen pipes by not turning the heat down to low.
Inside Your Home